After creating an analysis, there may be times when you may want to rearrange the columns and rows. You can do this using the options available in the modify menu.
- The option Rank, under selected, allows you to select columns and/or rows and rank from highest to lowest or lowest to highest in your analysis.
- The option Reorder, under layout, allows shifting selected columns and/or rows in an analysis table view.
In this article:
1. Rank columns and rows
- Rank is available under selected in the modify menu.
- The Rank option doesn't appear in the modify menu until you select a column or row.
- Clicking the button multiple times will toggle through the rank options.
- Selecting a column ranks items within that column (vertical).
- Selecting a row will rank items within that row (horizontal).
Rank is dynamic, the order of the items will refresh as you interact with your filters or update the data. Combining limit display with Rank allows you to show the top/bottom items in your analysis.
- Select the reference column or row header
- Click on the Rank option. Your analysis adjusts based on your selection.
Rank by last time period
When you have a time axis in your analysis, you can default the ranking to be based on the latest time period available in your project.
Selecting this option before saving your analysis as a story view, will ensure that your view is always based on the latest period and refreshes as new data comes in.
For example, in this analysis, we want to always rank from highest to lowest the Top 5 market, and we want this ranking retained as data is updated.
- In 2019, the top 3 markets were Australia, China, and the USA, followed by the UK and Japan.
Selecting the option to rank based on the last time period automatically updates the ranking.
- When 2020 data is available. The ranking order updates and now the top 3 markets are Australia, USA, and the UK, followed by China and Japan.
2. Reorder columns and rows
Reorder allows you to move selected columns and/or rows in an analysis table view.
- Reorder is available under layout in the modify menu.
- The Reorder option doesn't appear in the modify menu until you select the column(s) or row(s) you want to move.
- Use the arrow below the icon to access the different reordering options.
- Selecting a column allows reordering that column (vertical).
- Selecting a row allows reordering that row (horizontal).
- If ranking has been applied to a row or column, reordering is disabled and you cannot click on the reorder icon. The tooltip displays the message “Reorder is disabled due to column/row ranking.”
Reorder is not available when ranking has been used. If you want to change the order of items you first need to remove the ranking.
- When a column is selected, you can: move to first, move left, move right, or move to last.
- When a row is selected, you can: move to the top, move up, move down or move to the bottom.
Once you have moved
- The order is retained when saving a view.
- The order applies to Excel and PowerPoint exports.
- Selectors will also reflect the order of the items. The selector won’t reflect the change if the order change is different across nested items.
You can reorder individual measures or a selection of measures just as you do with standard axes. If you have standard axes and measures in the same analysis and want some measures above and some below the standard axis, Harmoni creates a new measure group for any measures that are moved.
Where to from here?
Learn more about customizing analyses