Project variable labels are critical for users to find the information they are after. Descriptive labels also facilitate analysis and visualization.
In Harmoni, the item label in the project tree is referred to as the display label. The display label in the project tree is mapped to the original label in your data source, referred to as the source label. The source labelLearn more about project source labels. for a variable can be seen by hovering over a source in the view/add sources under the action pane.
Label changes that you do in the project tree:
- Flow through any construction definitions.
- Flow through analysis and stories where the item is used.
- Are automatically applied to any new data sources that you add to your project.
If there are leading and/or trailing spaces, Harmoni displays them as #Space# in the project owner version. You can then search and replace to remove.
Take into account analysis and reporting requirements.
- Short and descriptive labels make visualization more visually appealing.
- By keeping labels short, the analysis interactive headings are easier to use.
In this article
1. Change a single label
You can edit a single label by double-clicking on the desired variable, or you can edit by selecting the item and pressing F2 to enter edit mode.
2. Change multiple labels
You can change several labels in a single transaction using Search & Replace.
The different options under the search menu make the process more efficient. Learn more about Project Search and Replace.
- Enter the keyword or phrase you want to locate in the search project tree area.
- Hit enter or click on the search icon.
- Once you have found what you are looking for, enter your new text in the replace area.
- To remove the text you have found, leave the replace area blank.
- Hit enter or click on the replace icon.
3. Change capitalization style
You can change the capitalization style of variable labels using the options under change case from the design menu.
Options include Sentence case, lowercase, UPPERCASE, and Proper Case.
4. Harmonize (Merge) Labels
You can change the display labels in Harmoni to harmonize items across different sources.
To harmonize, you need the change the item label to a common label. Through search and replace or a one-to-one relabel, merge different axes or elements to create harmonization.
- In the project tree select the axis or element you want to rename.
- Enter new item label.
- Harmoni will confirm once items have been merged.
Label harmonization to combine an axis/element with a construction is not supported.
As soon as you create a construction in your project, it will create the item across all sources. Harmoni will then prevent you from harmonizing items within the same source. In this case, it is best to edit your construction and include the new axis/element as needed.
Where to from here?
- Organize items in your project tree.
- Weights in Harmoni.
- Applying bases in the Project tree.
- Add values for average calculations.