Project variable labels are critical for users to find the information they are after.
While you can change labels directly in your Harmoni project using a 1-1 relabel or search and replace, there may be times when the project tree is too big. In this case, bulk relabel is an efficient way for you to update your tree.
To do a bulk relabel, follow these three steps:
- Export the labels from your project tree
- Make the relevant changes in the exported Excel spreadsheet
- Import the information on label changes to your project.
In this article
- Exporting the Label Change Template
- Changing labels in the Label Change Template
- Importing the Label Change Template
- Bulk Relabel and Harmonization
1. Exporting the Label Change Template
The first step is to export the labels from your Project tree. To do this, select the export design option in the action pane (bottom left menu.) From here, select the option Label Change Template.
Selecting this option creates an Excel file (.xlsx) with the information of the current labels in the project tree.
2. Changing labels in the Label Change Template
The label change template is named after your project with the suffix _LabelChangeTemplate. (i.e., International Visitors_LabelChangeTemplate.xlsx).
The file displays: ItemID, ItemName, ItemType, ParentName, ParentType, IsHidden, and a field for the NewItemName. The only column you need to update is the NewItemName column; the rest of the fields are mainly for context.
- You can change as many labels as you need.
- You can change the labels to harmonize items across different sources.
- When updating the labels in the label change template, you can take advantage of the different features in Excel to make the process more efficient.
- You can delete rows from the template and only keep the relevant rows for what you are changing.
- Make sure all filtering is removed before saving the file in Excel.
|ItemID||Unique Id identifier.|
|ItemName||The item label in the project tree (display label). This is the label you want to change.|
|ItemType||Gives you information about the variable type.|
|ParentName||Gives you information about the parent name, i.e., if the item is under an axis|
|ParentType||Gives you information about the parent variable type.|
|IsHidden||Indicates if the item is marked as hidden in the project tree.|
|NewItemName||This is the field to enter the new label.|
3. Importing the Label Change Template
After changing your template to add the new labels, you need to import the template back into Harmoni. To do this, select the Import option in the action pane (bottom left menu.) From here, select the option Import Label Change Template. Browse to the location of your file and upload. Harmoni will apply the new labels to your project tree.
If there are any conflicts, Harmoni generates a report containing the labels that were not changed (CaseDuplicateRecords.csv). In this example, we tried to harmonize two items; however, these are in the same source, so relabel to merge is not supported.
4. Bulk Relabel and Harmonization
You can change the display labels in Harmoni to harmonize items across different sources. To harmonize, you need to change the item label to a common one. On import, Harmoni will confirm which labels have been merged.
In this example, we want to combine the elements New Zealand and NZ, as well as Auckland International and Auckland. The color blue indicates the elements are different across sources.
Enter the new label name and Import