Creating visually appealing dashboards is essential for a creator to engage with an audience to deliver insights. To enhance the visualization experience, you can associate images or videos with the data in Harmoni Dashboards.
In this article
- Media Asset Sheet
- Create story views to use in your dashboard
- Display media in your dashboard
- Media items in Stories
- Examples of media containers in dashboards
1. Media Asset Sheet
The first step to associate media with items in your project is to create the media asset sheet. The media asset sheet identifies the item labels and the associated images and videos. The media asset file can have any name but must be an XLSX Excel file (i.e., Media.xlsx).
|Label||Image URL||Video URL|
Item label in your project
URL for the associated image
URL for the associated video
- Name of the item as it appears in the project.
- The label is usually associated with an element. It can also be associated with an axis if the view is a grid view and the axis is in a grid (the axis becomes an element of a grid header).
- Associated Image URL.
- Media URLs must start with HTTPS.
- Image URLs must end with these extensions: png | avif | gif | jpeg | jpg | jfif | pjpeg | pjp | png | svg |webp
- Associated Video URL.
- Media URLs must start with HTTPS
- Video URLs must:
- End with: mp4 | mpeg4 | 3gp | webm | ogg | ogv
- Or is an embed-able link from YouTube or Vimeo i.e., starts with https://www.youtube.com/embed/ or https://player.vimeo.com/video/
Uploading Media Asset Sheet to your project
Selecting the 3-dot menu on the project tile gives you the option to upload the media asset sheet.
2. Create story views to use in your dashboard
To add media items to your dashboard, you first need to create story views containing the items (i.e., Labels) specified in the media sheet.
When showing media in your dashboard, the default is to display the first available item in the view. You can control what is displayed by ranking or re-ordering your table or using the same item as a filter.
3. Display media in your dashboard
Once your story views are ready, you can drag the view into your dashboard or add using a chart container.
The container will initially show a table view. Switching on the option Display Media under the General settings will display the associated media defined in the media asset sheet. Under Content, the Media URL displays the URL specified in the media asset sheet.
You can then use the filtering system of Harmoni to rotate the image, including analysis filters, global filters, pinned filters, etc.
Export to PowerPoint
When you have an image media container, the associated filtered content exports to PowerPoint. Video export is not supported, however when exporting to PowerPoint, the video's URL is shown.
4. Media items in Stories
You can extend the display media functionality in the storytelling area. Dashboard pages can be saved as story views, and you can then interact with media items by using global filters.
5. Examples of media containers in dashboards
a) Associate an image with a click event - visual cue on filters applied.
In this example, we are looking at the Social Media Trends of 2021. By selecting the relevant social media platform, the logo is displayed. You can easily see the applicable filter used for the data in the dashboard.
Change background image
Similarly, in this example, we are changing the background image based on a selected filter.
b) Using the filter to rotate images - emphasize top mentions
In this example, instead of using charts, we are using images. Think of this as a ranked table where we want to know the top preferred pet, the leading brand, and the average time spent for each social media network.
c) Using video URL - Think about Advertising
In this example, we are looking at the preferred music genre by country. We are not only filtering the country flag but we are also rotating the music video. Think about brand advertising videos where you want to show a specific ad.
Example of Media Asset Sheet