There are occasions where you may want to replace the data used to create a project. Infotools Harmoni allows you to replace existing data sources; however, it is essential to do this with caution in order not to lose any existing project definitions.
In this article
1. Overwrite data with an updated source
You can overwrite sources with updated data as new data is made available. Some scenarios include:
- Updating data using a cumulative data file. For example a new wave of data for a tracker study.
- Overwriting data when changes have been done to the original source (e.g., data cleaning).
You can only overwrite when the name and type of the source are the same. For example:
- MyTrackerdata.sav modified 2 of Feb. 2018 replaced with
- MyTrackerdata.sav modified 2 of Mar. 2018.
Infotools Harmoni will only identify an updated source when the name and source type are the same.
- Click on view/add sources.
- Click on Add/Remove.
- This will open the sources browse area and display list of the data sources linked to your project.
- Choose Upload or Connect.
- browse to the location of your updated data source (s).
- Infotools Harmoni will ask you to overwrite the original file with the new updated one.
- Make sure that all sources you wish to include in your project are selected.
- When ready, click the OK button and your project will load with the new data included.
When a source is updated
Infotools Harmoni Automation - Design
Infotools Harmoni will automatically use the dictionary mappings applied to the previous source and apply to the new one. That is, any data design steps previously applied in your project will be applied to your new data source.
Infotools Harmoni Automation - What's New
Infotools Harmoni will automatically identify what's new.
Infotools Harmoni will identify what is new in a project but currently doesn't identify what has been removed. We recommend checking your constructed axes to ensure definitions are still relevant.
2. Replace data with a new source
You can replace data sources with new data; however, it is important to do this with caution in order not to lose any existing project definitions or break your project and stories. You need to add the new data file into your project as a new data source and harmonize before removing the old source.
To conserve project definitions, before doing a replace it is important to add the new sources, load the project, check what is new, harmonize axes and elements as relevant and then remove the sources you no longer wish to use.
Where to from here?
- Changes to data sources are only available to the project owner until the project is next published. Learn more about Publish.